Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wellbutrin - generic >>. brand name

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • wellbutrin - generic >>. brand name

    I have been taking wellbutrin SR and am now being told that I have to use the generic form and that it is exactly the same as the name brand. I have a hard time believing this. Approximately a year or so I did try the generic version and it did not work the same for me as the name brand. I have bipolar disorder and the generic version caused me to have mood swings. I am being told that this is a "fairly new" version and it will work exactly the same as the name brand. I am wondering how long this newer version has been around and if it is, in fact the same drug I had issues with - it looks the same from what I remember. The other reason I am concerned is because I am very sensitive to even slight differences in medication. When I tried the XR version of wellbutrin it also did not work for me. any information would be appreciated. thanks

  • #2
    The older generic wellbutrin you must be refering to was the regular release, (not sustained release or SR). The Wellbutrin SR generic just came out. I would not imagine any difference in results between these two drugs. They both contain the same active ingredient, the only difference in the two is what makes up the physical tablet, (fillers, colors, binders, etc). It is a money saver and is worth trying out. If you can't tolerate it, perhaps your doctor can speak to the insurance company to get them to allow the Brand name to be used. Good luck.

    Comment


    • #3
      I have recently discovered that sometimes the fillers in drugs can cause funny reactions in people sensitive to them. You may have taken the name brand Wellbutrin without a problem and then react funny to the generic because of one of the fillers, it may be an allergy or just some sensitivity that can interfere with how the drug itself works for you.
      I had never even thought of this until I switched pharmacies after we moved and the new one carried a generic of my birth control. I had used it for years since having my son without any problems and suddenly I was having cramps, heavy bleeding, diarhhea and usually bleeding 3 weeks instead of just one. I did try it for three months to try to let my body adjust to the change but I still had all the same problems.
      On my next appointment I talked to my doc and she wrote a new prescription with "brand medically necessary" on it and told me about the filler problem. It it not extremely common but it does happen to some people. Since switching back to the name brand I am doing fine again with no problems.

      Comment


      • #4
        quote:Originally posted by kinghb92

        I have been taking wellbutrin SR and am now being told that I have to use the generic form and that it is exactly the same as the name brand. I have a hard time believing this. Approximately a year or so I did try the generic version and it did not work the same for me as the name brand. I have bipolar disorder and the generic version caused me to have mood swings. I am being told that this is a "fairly new" version and it will work exactly the same as the name brand. I am wondering how long this newer version has been around and if it is, in fact the same drug I had issues with - it looks the same from what I remember. The other reason I am concerned is because I am very sensitive to even slight differences in medication. When I tried the XR version of wellbutrin it also did not work for me. any information would be appreciated. thanks
        hello thank you! I've been having the same problem; I googled "wellbutrin name brand" to see if others were suffering from this same problem. I recently changed doctors and my new doctor did not assign me name brand so now i have 3 months worth of generic. agh. I'll do some more research, keep me updated on how yours is working.

        Comment


        • #5
          Wellbutrin SR - generic >>. brand name

          I have been taking generic buproprion hcl sr for a long time ( over a year) and spent the extra money on wellbutrin sr to see what would happen. With my experience, the anti-depressant properties of buproprion hcl sr just arn't there. It seems as if I haven't been taking anything all this time. I believe I'm going to at least half my dose to get comparable results to how I was before. I can't help but wonder when the rest of the world is going to figure out that generic is not the same as brand for all medication and as just another way for drug companies to profit as if they don't profit enough already. I wondered if I was the only one that had this problem, now I see that I'm not.

          Comment


          • #6
            Generic Wellbutrin ......

            I'm glad to know that there's someone else who finds that generic Wellbutrin 'doesn't work'. Supposedly, the generic has exactly the same 'properties' but that's really hard for me to believe.

            For the past seven years, I've taken Wellbutrin SR and have coped reasonably well; however, recently, my Health Plan announced they will only cover generic Wellbutrin. I've tried it twice in the past few weeks and there's absolutely no doubt that I cannot function on it-----have felt 'hung-over'; extremely irritable (quite the joy to live with ....); very emotional/overly sensitive; lethargic, etc etc.

            My doctor's suggestion is to maybe switch to Effexor----any advice???

            Thanks.

            Comment


            • #7
              My son was given a different generic when the Doctor changed dosage. The pill was from a different Laboratory and was a dirrent color. It did not work. I requested pills from Lab# 1 only, and he is back on track and doing well.

              Originally posted by kinghb92 View Post
              I have been taking wellbutrin SR and am now being told that I have to use the generic form and that it is exactly the same as the name brand. I have a hard time believing this. Approximately a year or so I did try the generic version and it did not work the same for me as the name brand. I have bipolar disorder and the generic version caused me to have mood swings. I am being told that this is a "fairly new" version and it will work exactly the same as the name brand. I am wondering how long this newer version has been around and if it is, in fact the same drug I had issues with - it looks the same from what I remember. The other reason I am concerned is because I am very sensitive to even slight differences in medication. When I tried the XR version of wellbutrin it also did not work for me. any information would be appreciated. thanks

              Comment


              • #8
                Before you switch, try requesting a generic from another Lab. The generic that did not work for my son was from EON labs, the one that does work is from TEVA labs.
                Originally posted by CWINCAL View Post
                I'm glad to know that there's someone else who finds that generic Wellbutrin 'doesn't work'. Supposedly, the generic has exactly the same 'properties' but that's really hard for me to believe.

                For the past seven years, I've taken Wellbutrin SR and have coped reasonably well; however, recently, my Health Plan announced they will only cover generic Wellbutrin. I've tried it twice in the past few weeks and there's absolutely no doubt that I cannot function on it-----have felt 'hung-over'; extremely irritable (quite the joy to live with ....); very emotional/overly sensitive; lethargic, etc etc.

                My doctor's suggestion is to maybe switch to Effexor----any advice???

                Thanks.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'm curious. What generic were you taking. (color of pill or Laboratory it was from)????
                  Originally posted by CareyK View Post
                  I have been taking generic buproprion hcl sr for a long time ( over a year) and spent the extra money on wellbutrin sr to see what would happen. With my experience, the anti-depressant properties of buproprion hcl sr just arn't there. It seems as if I haven't been taking anything all this time. I believe I'm going to at least half my dose to get comparable results to how I was before. I can't help but wonder when the rest of the world is going to figure out that generic is not the same as brand for all medication and as just another way for drug companies to profit as if they don't profit enough already. I wondered if I was the only one that had this problem, now I see that I'm not.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by lizdance40 View Post
                    I'm curious. What generic were you taking. (color of pill or Laboratory it was from)????
                    Mfg: IMPAX (GLOBAL) I didn't keep any tablets so I don't remember the color. Also I've noticed in addition to not needed much sleep with Wellbutrin SR (compared to buproprion hcl sr), I'm having alopecia (hair loss), so I'm quitting this med., but I'd still say this mfg. is in my opinion compared to brand, Not the same, I'd go so far to say it's akin to a placebo.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Generic Wellbutrin a flop for me

                      I started taking the Wellbutrin for 3 weeks and it was great! Compared to Lexapro that made me sleepy and queezy, I had no side effects other than lost a few pounds (that was a plus).

                      Then I switched to generic and it was like I wasn't taking anything. I stopped for a while then decided to try again, just to be fair. This time around I feel more depressed and anxious than I did before with added mood swings. The two are definately not alike for me., I mean, how can an anti-depressant make you feel more depressed? It makes no sense and I have yet to see any similarities. Its too bad, I can't afford the brand name and it worked so well. I just don't understand how they tested this drug and said it was basically the same. Glad to see others agree of their difference.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I was taking Wellbutrin SR until the generic form became available. Since being on the generic product (bupropion SR) I haven't really noticed any difference in it's effectiveness. The generic I take is manufactured by TEVA. Check your Rx label to see who makes the generic that you take.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Worried about generic

                          I'm glad this board exists. I've been taking Lexapro for over a year for anxiety/depression and it's been really helpful. But I've had a really big problem with my sex drive on the Lexapro alone, so my doctor also put me on generic Wellbutrin. I went online to try and find out if it's as effective as Wellbutrin and am worried about what I'm seeing.

                          Awhile ago my doctor put me on the generic Lexapro and I had to switch back because it wasn't doing anything for me. I'm worried that the same will happen with the generic Wellbutrin. I'm only on my 3rd day of taking the new med and I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel. I feel tired (like after taking cold medicine) and I have dry throat.

                          Is anyone else taking the generic Wellbutrin for a side effect to another drug?
                          Last edited by Anonymous; 11-21-2008, 01:26 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Sarabeth View Post
                            I'm glad this board exists. I've been taking Lexapro for over a year for anxiety/depression and it's been really helpful. But I've had a really big problem with my sex drive on the Lexapro alone, so my doctor also put me on generic Wellbutrin. I went online to try and find out if it's as effective as Wellbutrin and am worried about what I'm seeing.

                            Awhile ago my doctor put me on the generic Lexapro and I had to switch back because it wasn't doing anything for me. I'm worried that the same will happen with the generic Wellbutrin. I'm only on my 3rd day of taking the new med and I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel. I feel tired (like after taking cold medicine) and I have dry throat.

                            Is anyone else taking the generic Wellbutrin for a side effect to another drug?
                            I was taking lexapro also. I had some very nasty side effects from it. I was dizzy all the time, could not eat, and even suicidal at one point.

                            I got of the drug and that was not easy, it was almost like I was going into withdraw. I feel great now, and I don't think I will mess around with anymore of these magic pills anymore.]
                            Last edited by Anonymous; 07-27-2018, 01:43 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Sarabeth View Post
                              I'm glad this board exists. I've been taking Lexapro for over a year for anxiety/depression and it's been really helpful. But I've had a really big problem with my sex drive on the Lexapro alone, so my doctor also put me on generic Wellbutrin. I went online to try and find out if it's as effective as Wellbutrin and am worried about what I'm seeing.

                              Awhile ago my doctor put me on the generic Lexapro and I had to switch back because it wasn't doing anything for me. I'm worried that the same will happen with the generic Wellbutrin. I'm only on my 3rd day of taking the new med and I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel. I feel tired (like after taking cold medicine) and I have dry throat.

                              Is anyone else taking the generic Wellbutrin for a side effect to another drug?



                              There have been some positive results treating people for loss of sex drive with wellbutrin. It isn't used when sex drive is reduced from just any reason. But there has been some success when the change in sex drive seems to be related to the use of other antidepressant medications as in your case.

                              I can't say for sure that the generic will work the same on you as the name brand. But it certainly should. There is not supposed to be too much difference. They are allowed legally for a minor difference, can't say for sure what that is for wellbutrin. But it should work the same as the name brand. Please let us know the outcome in your situation. God bless.
                              Last edited by Anonymous; 11-29-2008, 02:51 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X