Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anxiety and depression directly related to opiates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anxiety and depression directly related to opiates?

Old member back with a new thread specific to anxiety and depression that is related directly to opiate use? Whether you have experienced anxiety and/or depression during regular use of opiates, in-between doses, while tapering or after stopping? I would like to know the experiences of others who have been through these things before? Unfortunately and regrettably I have relapsed, mainly using oxycodone for the past 10 months or so, anywhere from 30mg - 90mg/day. Opiates are something I swore I would never touch again but here I am and it sux, I feel like such a failure! I went through such a difficult time getting of the opiates before and now I'm facing the same thing again! I am just as scared as last time because the debilitating anxiety and depression has already started in-between my doses, the panic attacks are awful! I'm sure most of it is because I'm tapering by too much and too fast, unfortunately I have no more money for anymore meds so I have to work with what meds I have left. I would like to hear some time-lines of others who have been through this specific process of the anxiety and depression? What will help besides time off the narcotics, diet and exercise? What supplements help, what supplements make it worse? Here's a link to my original thread if anyone is interested -
    https://forum.drugs.com/need-talk/no...red-69845.html

Thanks in advance for any and all responses... God bless us all!

Awwww Ricky...
    I'm glad you are back but sorry to hear the circumstances that brought you back home... You could never be a failure in my eyes Ricky but reality is relapse happens and I'm grateful to hear you made it back. The only suggestion I have for you Ricky is go back threw your thread you will see as scared as you are now the anxiety depression panic attacks you have been threw it before this is just a normal part of your process Ricky. You came out the other side before and I have no doubt you will do it again... Keep posting we are all here to support you my friend...

Comment

Originally posted by Lvg nghtmare View Post
      Awwww Ricky...
      I'm glad you are back but sorry to hear the circumstances that brought you back home... You could never be a failure in my eyes Ricky but reality is relapse happens and I'm grateful to hear you made it back. The only suggestion I have for you Ricky is go back threw your thread you will see as scared as you are now the anxiety depression panic attacks you have been threw it before this is just a normal part of your process Ricky. You came out the other side before and I have no doubt you will do it again... Keep posting we are all here to support you my friend...
      Lvg, thanks so much for the reply. Even though I've been through this before and I know what to expect I am still scared of all those feelings of doom and despair. The anxiety, depression and panic attacks were horrible last time and I'm already experiencing those same feelings now and I haven't even tapered that much! And also I find the taper much more difficult this time, I know last time I tapered I was tapering too fast and by too much but that's what the dumb doctor suggested, this time I'm doing it by myself with a very limited supply of oxy with no extra money to get more! I have gathered some supplements that I'm hoping will help, I've got DLPA, L-Tyrosine, B-6, Mutivitamin, Fish oil, GABA (which I've read is useless and doesn't cross the BBB), L-Methionine and L-Glutamine. Does anyone have any experience with any of these supplements that I have mentioned? I'm doing my best to taper and get through this without the extreme anxiety, depression and panic attacks that I experienced last time! Any and all suggestions are welcome? I've noticed that the forums have been really slow and I'm afraid that I won't receive the support and recommendations that I received back when I started my 1st thread in October of 2015? Thanks again Lvg for the post, it means a lot! God bless us all!

Comment

First, welcome back. I’m no stranger to relaps myself.. I know how it feels. If only we could learn our lesson the first time! But, you’ve made it through this before. You know what it takes. You know what to expect. You know you CAN do this.

As for the anxiety question, I never had anxiety or panick attacks my whole life. I really didn’t even know what they were to be honest. It was probably my 3rd relapse and they hit me like a truck. They stuck around for a few years until the last time I cleaned up. After about 2 months (longest I’d been clean since starting opiates) they started going away. I ended up relapsing again after 6 months and those feelings came back very quickly. I continued to use for about a year and a half and have since gotten sober again, 5 months today. My anxiety is almost completely gone. I have a moment maybe once a month now where I let my thoughts get the best of me and I think I’m going to have an attack, usually at night, but they quickly go away with a walk to the fridge to grab a water. I don’t know if those feelings had anything to do with my drug use, I can tell you that it made them MUCH worse. I can tell you that my life now without pills or panic attacks is much better than it was on pills. As bad as the withdrawl is, it’s so worth it.

Comment

Hey Ricky71......Glad you at least came back....To where you know there is help......advice.....Support!! This is the only place I know, where everyone gets what your talking about......How your feeling!! I have been through another relapse as well......most of it spent on Subs.....but.....either way.....getting back to what WE really want.....Freedom from this Animal....Well.....It is NOT something I look forward to......So I absolutely get the anxiety...depression part! It sucks...plain and simple.....there just isn't an easy way out!! We did this to ourselves...AGAIN.....So Now we gotta do what we KNOW!! Me personally....Don't really have any other advice except what You already mentioned......Exercise...….and trying to eat a Super good nutritional Diet!! The other things that help ME the most....is this Forum for one!! Keeping in contact with others is So Huge For ME!! As Long as I don't get stuck in that self-pity mode......I can do ok!! I know sleep will suck for a little while......But the thing that always takes the most time for ME is that Energy??...That's where the Gym.....or any kind of exercise ….which seems weird....since energy is lacking......But If I can drag myself to the gym....or steam room and swimming pool.....it helps me So much more than just sitting.....cuz then self-pity sneaks in.....and then depression!! Lets DO this Ricky....I have been tapering down off subs for a VERY long time....and am as Low as i'm going...about.125...to.15mg per day.....And when my Girlfriend goes on a two week vacation....I am jumping.....9/19/18.....That will be My day ONE!! I don't know where you will be around that time......But whatever you do....keep posting My Friend!! Been there....Done that.....let's Do THIS!! Stay Strong Just For Today!!
          Last edited by Anonymous; 08-31-2018, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Thank you OKC and dave for taking the time to reply, it means a lot.

OKC - congratulations on 5 months, that is awesome! Keep up the great work!

dave - my old friend, you were one of the 1st to reply to my original thread back in October of 2015! Sorry to hear about your relapse but I'm glad to hear that you will soon be off the subs and living a clean and healthy life without opiates!

Take care... God bless us all!

Comment

Ricky! I wondered where you went off to. Welcome back! Sorry about your relapse, but, you know, sheet happens. I'd hate to sit down and count the number of relapses I've had, and most of them were before I was even finished tapering. You are not a failure unless you stop trying....and that's not you. Here you are, ready to pull off the boxing gloves, and jump back into the ring. That says you're not a failure. (this coming from someone who also thinks of herself as a failure....wow) I'm not going to try to give you any advice, Ricky, because you already know anything I could tell you, and much more to boot. I couldn't say anything about depression and anxiety, because I don't know. I've been depressed and have had anxiety attacks all my life. Even as a child....,so it's impossible for me to know what is from opiates, and what is just normal for me. I'm proud that you've decided to come back and beat this thing once again....you've got this!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Leah987 View Post
                Ricky! I wondered where you went off to. Welcome back! Sorry about your relapse, but, you know, sheet happens. I'd hate to sit down and count the number of relapses I've had, and most of them were before I was even finished tapering. You are not a failure unless you stop trying....and that's not you. Here you are, ready to pull off the boxing gloves, and jump back into the ring. That says you're not a failure. (this coming from someone who also thinks of herself as a failure....wow) I'm not going to try to give you any advice, Ricky, because you already know anything I could tell you, and much more to boot. I couldn't say anything about depression and anxiety, because I don't know. I've been depressed and have had anxiety attacks all my life. Even as a child....,so it's impossible for me to know what is from opiates, and what is just normal for me. I'm proud that you've decided to come back and beat this thing once again....you've got this!!!!
                Thanks for the post Ryka, I need the encouragement and support. It just sux to go through this again! I'm hoping by finding the right combination of supplements and by following a healthy diet I can reduce the severity of the anxiety and depression and lessen the duration of time it will take for my brain to repair itself and for all the chemicals to balance out to a normal level again? I hope you are doing/feeling okay these days Ryka? Take care of yourself... God bless us all!

Comment

Hey Ricky. Welcome back. Sorry It's under these circumstances but that's life I suppose. I came along a little after you took your hiatus. And on all those long sleepless nights I did get to read many of your posts and your thread. I know you know everything that we could suggest and all that good stuff. So I'm not going to bore you with that. I will however say that the single thing that helped me with all the doom and gloom when I was detoxing from subs was lots of protein, walks, and DLPA. It was a real battle some days as you know. But we survive. Just take it one at a time. Forward progress, that's all we can do. You're absolutely right about the forum being slow lately. Who knows why? I'm sure it will pick back up again soon.

I'm glad you're back Ricky! You know this place. You'll get plenty of support! You can do this!

Have a great weekend!
                  Beef

Comment

Originally posted by Beefaroni7272 View Post
                    Hey Ricky. Welcome back. Sorry It's under these circumstances but that's life I suppose. I came along a little after you took your hiatus. And on all those long sleepless nights I did get to read many of your posts and your thread. I know you know everything that we could suggest and all that good stuff. So I'm not going to bore you with that. I will however say that the single thing that helped me with all the doom and gloom when I was detoxing from subs was lots of protein, walks, and DLPA. It was a real battle some days as you know. But we survive. Just take it one at a time. Forward progress, that's all we can do. You're absolutely right about the forum being slow lately. Who knows why? I'm sure it will pick back up again soon.

I'm glad you're back Ricky! You know this place. You'll get plenty of support! You can do this!

Have a great weekend!
                    Beef
                    Thanks for the post Beef, means a lot. I've seen your name around the forums quite a bit, congrats on getting off the subs. Just so people know, relapse is only one bad decision away so always keep your guard up! The old statement still holds true - "One pill is too many and a thousand pills will never be enough"! God bless us all!

Comment

My anxiety disappeared about 1 month after my last Norco. Depression disappeared about 2 months after that. Tried everything while on the pills. Nothing worked.

So yes, in my case anxiety and depression were directly related to opiates.

Comment

Ricky - thank you for coming back and sharing. So many of us won't or don't, and it's a shame. We are all human. End of story. The bottom line is that it's hard. You will do fine because you know yourself. You know who you are and what you want. You will get there. It's jst wanting to get there. '

I am grateful that we all can be honest and share with either other the trials and tribulations we are going through. It keeps it real.

Any time you want to talk, just get on here. It make take a little bit for a reply (I am not sure what happened to everyone), but your friends will be there for you. Take care and be strong.

Hope

Comment

Originally posted by extremetm View Post
                          My anxiety disappeared about 1 month after my last Norco. Depression disappeared about 2 months after that. Tried everything while on the pills. Nothing worked.

So yes, in my case anxiety and depression were directly related to opiates.
                          Thanks for the reply extremetm. Congratulations on getting off the pain med train, how long have you been clean? What was your history with opiates? How long were you taking them, how much per day, did you quit cold turkey or did you taper, etc...? Would you say that the anxiety and depression that you experienced was mild, moderate or severe? I do understand that all of us are different so I do take that into consideration? Thanks again for the post. Take care... God bless us all!

Comment

Originally posted by hopes1211 View Post
                            Ricky - thank you for coming back and sharing. So many of us won't or don't, and it's a shame. We are all human. End of story. The bottom line is that it's hard. You will do fine because you know yourself. You know who you are and what you want. You will get there. It's jst wanting to get there. '

I am grateful that we all can be honest and share with either other the trials and tribulations we are going through. It keeps it real.

Any time you want to talk, just get on here. It make take a little bit for a reply (I am not sure what happened to everyone), but your friends will be there for you. Take care and be strong.

Hope
                            Thank you Hope... Great post, I appreciate the encouragement and support. Take care of yourself as well Hope... God bless us all!

Comment

Hey Ricky!! I haven't been on the forums for several months myself, and a lot of that has to do with the depression/anxiety I've been going through. I was made aware of your post and figured it was time to peek my head back up, especially because of all the help you gave me when I made the jump.

I get the anxiety and depression...both before I went on any meds or started self-medicating, while I was on all the scripts and especially now even a few months away from being 2 years clean. Sometimes it's debilitating, and just takes everything out of me.

I know for me, a lot of the depression comes from the chronic pain I've had since birth. I knew getting off the oxy I'd be dealing with a lot more pain, but some days it's just crippling. I think a big reason I haven't posted in so long is because while my life has improved in so many ways, I'd be lying if I said I was able to do more physically off the meds. Have actually had to stop doing a lot of physical activities and work I was doing. When you trade one sucky life for another life that sucks in many ways it's hard to always keep your spirits up. It's also been hard for me to know what to post to others to motivate them.

I think when I made the jump the L-Tyrosine was the best supplement I took that helped my mental state. I was also on Trazadone and Xanax which I stopped about the same time, so the anxiety was really hitting me hard. I also think that eating better helped me a lot. I considered taking st. johns wort because I had heard that helped some people, but also read some negative stuff about it as well. It might be worth looking into for you.

I had also stopped taking my blood pressure, cholesterol and thryoid meds, just didn't want to take any medications at all and that was a huge mistake. I never should have stopped those, and it's possible my thyroid has been causing me some problems because of it. I did go back on those meds a while back (and got quite a chewing out from the new doctors I see for stopping them), but my thyroid levels are still off which can cause some mental/physical issues I didn't know about. Could be worth having your thyroid checked and an overall physical in case there are some other issues causing the depression/anxiety.

I'm also seeing a therapist and psychiatrist to deal with a lot of my depression and anxiety issues. I've recently started taking Lamotrigine since I refuse to go back on any benzo, and have been kicking around the possibility of going back on the trazadone since I was taking that for anxiety and never abused it.

I'm just sharing all of this with you to let you know that you're not alone, and that I get it. I don't know if any of it helped, but wanted to at least share with you since you did so me for me. You're loved here Ricky, and just like in the rooms we don't shoot our wounded. I'm glad you reached out!!
                              Last edited by Anonymous; 09-02-2018, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X