Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suboxone withdrawal is no joke?!

Hi everyone,
    I was just hoping to talk with folks that are familiar with suboxone and the withdrawal from it. I know there are one or two sub threads (haha), however, I haven't found one that relates to my situation.

I have a prescription norco addiction- prescribed 120 10mg each month, almost always ran about a week short (prescribed 4, was taking 5-6 daily) for approximately 12 years.

Before the shutdown, luckily, I had decided enough was enough. I was tired of suffering great withdrawal every month, and started to think that I'd never STAY abstinent. My last Norco was 2 months 15 days ago.

I came clean about my addiction to my employer, and decided to try suboxone to stay clean (doctor prescribed) . I was advised to take half of a 2/8 film, and then take the other half an hour later. I took half, and ended up in the ER as I thought I was having an OD

Oh wow, the rest of my very long message was cut off. Boo.

To keep the details succinct: was on subs from Feb 23 - April 21, approx .25 mg. Currently 12 Days clear of everything, and shocked at how terrible I feel after such a short time and small dose. What can I expect, when will I feel better?

Comment

I’ve also had similar results with suboxone. I took a low dose as well and still went through withdrawals for a bit.

The good news is you are past the peak and on the downhill slide. If you were only taking 0.25mg (which would be 1/32 of a strip) a day, you should be over most of the physical withdrawals any day now. The problem is, the dissipation of opiate withdrawals is a long, slow process and you wont magically wake up one day feeling better. Every week you’ll notice improvements and after a month or two you will be back to, or close to, baseline.

Keep pushing, taking one day at a time! Try to eat healthy, stay hydrated and get exercise and sunshine. These will help you bounce back the quickest

Comment

Also it sounds like you could have went into precipitated withdrawals when you took that first dose of suboxone. The doctor put you on way too high of a dose, but the ceiling effect of suboxone means it wouldnt have made you OD. They should have started you with no more than 2mg of sub a day if you only took 50-60mg of hydrocodone a day. How long after your last dose of norco was it before you took the suboxone? You need to be far along in withdrawals before dosing suboxone (24-48 hours for most). If not, we go through something called precipitated withdrawals and it is awful!

Comment

Originally posted by KayDubya View Post
          Hi everyone,
          I was just hoping to talk with folks that are familiar with suboxone and the withdrawal from it. I know there are one or two sub threads (haha), however, I haven't found one that relates to my situation.

I have a prescription norco addiction- prescribed 120 10mg each month, almost always ran about a week short (prescribed 4, was taking 5-6 daily) for approximately 12 years.

Before the shutdown, luckily, I had decided enough was enough. I was tired of suffering great withdrawal every month, and started to think that I'd never STAY abstinent. My last Norco was 2 months 15 days ago.

I came clean about my addiction to my employer, and decided to try suboxone to stay clean (doctor prescribed) . I was advised to take half of a 2/8 film, and then take the other half an hour later. I took half, and ended up in the ER as I thought I was having an OD
          Oh wow, the rest of my very long message was cut off. Boo.

To keep the details succinct: was on subs from Feb 23 - April 21, approx .25 mg. Currently 12 Days clear of everything, and shocked at how terrible I feel after such a short time and small dose. What can I expect, when will I feel better?

Kay, welcome to the forum. There is a lot of important information missing from your posts therefore I won't be able to give you 100% accurate answers? It is true that sub doctors prescribe way too much sub! Their knowledge of subs and prescribing guidelines come from the pharmaceutical companies, go figure! Doctors are only required to take one 8 hour course online in order to legally prescribe subs. Regardless of how much sub the doctor told you to take for the induction is minimal compared to the timing of the sub induction? You MUST be in moderate to severe withdrawal from your drug of choice before you can safely start the sub induction! The best way to know if you are ready for the sub induction is to use the COWS (clinical opiate withdrawal scale) worksheet! Because you didn't provide enough detailed information I can only guess and say that you took the sub too soon and put yourself into precipitated withdrawals? Precipitated withdrawals literally feel like you are going to die and that's why you thought you were having an overdose and went to the ER!

Just because you jumped from .25mg (one quarter of one milligram) of sub doesn't mean that you are going to have a painless detox! Even if you had a perfect sub taper you would still experience some minor to medium discomfort for several days to a couple of weeks or so and then some lingering physical and mental symptoms possibly lasting a few months longer? I would need to know your exact dosing timeline while you were on subs to tell you what's going on and what you can/should expect from here? Were you on .25mg every day throughout the entire time you were on subs or did you taper down from higher amounts? Were you stable (little to no withdrawals) when you jumped? Basically, just need the amounts of sub you were taking, how long on each amount, etc...? If you tapered too quickly and/or you weren't completely stable when you jumped then it's perfectly normal to still feel pretty awful 12 days after you jumped! Keep in mind that subs are 30 times stronger than morphine, that's why such a small amount of sub is so amazingly powerful! Update with exact details of your time on sub? I'll check back in later? Take care... God bless us all!

PS
          Take a look at Robert's sub therapy/taper plan here - https://forum.drugs.com/suboxone-tre...apy-66109.html

Alot of great information about subs in general including proper sub inductions and tapering schedule...

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to respond! I truly appreciate it so much. I had included many details but apparently there is a character limit (haha)

As for the sub experience- I had been out of Norco for 72 hours when I took my first half sub strip. It made me feel like my first vicodin x 100, dizzy, confused, vomiting, etc.

I found that my attitude and the fact that I wasn't on insanely high dosage of norc, I could only tolerate a tiny little corner of the film (sorry, don't understand the dosage of these things) Weeks 1-3 tiny little corner 1x daily. Half film was cut in to 8 triangles. Weeks 4-8 I was taking 2 of those tiny little triangles, and felt perfectly normal and functional.

Comment

Thank you for your response! I had several days of not being able to get myself out of bed. I've been doing better the last couple of days (yay for Spring in WI) but I am still so very sore and exhausted by 6-7 pm. I have so little energy, and depression, and I'm quite a witch at the moment. I've also had a headache for 2 weeks. I guess I'm just hoping to hear someone say "you'll have your energy back in no time " although I know better than that. I'm also kind of scared of what baseline is for me! I was a young lady when I started the V for energy. I'm older now and as I deteriorate, I am TERRIFIED that I will fail at running my household. Ugh. Thanks for listening and commenting. I'm doing this on my own, as it's been a secret from my spouse.

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to respond! I truly appreciate it so much. I had included many details but apparently there is a character limit (haha)

As for the sub experience- I had been out of Norco for 72 hours when I took my first half sub strip. It made me feel like my first vicodin x 100, dizzy, confused, vomiting, etc.

I found that my attitude and the fact that I wasn't on insanely high dosage of norc, I could only tolerate a tiny little corner of the film (sorry, don't understand the dosage of these things) Weeks 1-3 tiny little corner 1x daily. Half film was cut in to 8 triangles. Weeks 4-8 I was taking 2 of those tiny little triangles, and felt perfectly normal and functional.
                I am now on day 13 from subs 2mo16da from norco and I feel low energy, low enthusiasm for life in general, and exhausted by 7pm. I can't seem to muster the energy to care for my kids yet (thankfully my spouse is super dad and is ok thinking I'm just "sick") I don't know what baseline is.. I look at myself and see how old I look/ feel and worry that it's more than w/d, but who I am now.
                Sometimes I feel like I'm working towards sobriety, just to check in on myself, and then I'll start using my little helpers (norco) to go back to supermom status. I probably need therapy Asap, yeah?

Comment

Happy monday and congrats on getting through 12 full days!

Unfortunately sleep and energy/motivation are the slowest things to return after kicking opiates. I wish there was a secret i could fill you in on to get those back quicker. L-tyrosine and a b-vitamin complex will give you a little energy boost throughout your day. Take them on an empty stomach in the morning, about 1000mg of the tyrosine, and it should help. You will feel pretty beat at the end of the day for another 2-4 weeks.

Age plays a factor, and if we are on pills then we can sort of make up for getting older. They make us feel invincible right? We can get a lot done around the house, pay attention to our family, etc but once off pills it hits us hard. Keep pushing it will all come back slowly. Try to fake it until you make it! Fake being happy and full of energy, it can help!

Comment

And yes, addiction counseling or a psychologist/psychiatrist in general will help you overcome the huge mental battle. Try to find some NA/AA meetings online or in your area. I know they carry a negative stigma but dont get discouraged. You’ll quickly find there are so many people out there in our positions!

Comment

I am now on day 13 from subs 2mo16da from norco and I feel low energy, low enthusiasm for life in general, and exhausted by 7pm. I can't seem to muster the energy to care for my kids yet (thankfully my spouse is super dad and is ok thinking I'm just "sick") I don't know what baseline is.. I look at myself and see how old I look/ feel and worry that it's more than w/d, but who I am now.
                      Sometimes I feel like I'm working towards sobriety, just to check in on myself, and then I'll start using my little helpers (norco) to go back to supermom status. I probably need therapy Asap, yeah?

Not sure what happened to you when you 1st started on subs because if you were off the Norco for 72 hours then it would be pretty much impossible to have gone into precipitated withdrawals from taking the sub too soon? Did you have any other opiate in your system around the time of starting the subs?

Keep in mind that you were on opiates for a very long time. It will most likely take you several months before you start to feel pretty good? All the chemicals (dopamine, serotonin, etc...) in your brain are off, it takes time for everything to balance out without the opiates? Be rest assured, you'll feel much better a few months down the road! In the meantime, eat as healthy as possible, stay hydrated and exercise whenever possible? Keep us updated? God bless us all!

Comment

Working...
                      X