Help please. Just quitting vicodin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please. Just quitting vicodin

I am new. Just stopped vicodin 20 hours ago after 4 years of 25 mg per day. My anxiety is through the roof. I’ve tried to reach out to dr to see about getting help but not able to get through. I am scared. Anxious. Tired all together. Not sure where to turn for help. I put a call into a rehab but been waiting for insurance to approve. This is a nightmare

Originally posted by Sweetshellbell View Post
    I am new. Just stopped vicodin 20 hours ago after 4 years of 25 mg per day. My anxiety is through the roof. I’ve tried to reach out to dr to see about getting help but not able to get through. I am scared. Anxious. Tired all together. Not sure where to turn for help. I put a call into a rehab but been waiting for insurance to approve. This is a nightmare

Is this your first time going through opiate withdrawal? Why are you stopping the vicodin and why are you going the cold turkey route? Update when you can? We'll help you get through this! Hang in there! God bless us all!

Comment

Thanks for responding. I am quitting because I am addicted and know I need to stop. It’s gotten way out of control and was ruling my life. 2nd day today and feeling a little worse than yesterday for sure. I did a taper for two weeks then decided just to get this >>>> out of my system for good. I just wondering when this will end. My dr prescribed me Buspar for anxiety that I am starting today. I’m hoping that helps.
      thanks for listening.

Comment

I once came off Vicodin at even a higher dose than 25mg by accident. I didn't realize I was dependent on it at the time. I had been taking it daily for months. What I experienced was about 48 hrs being unable to sleep and the anxiousness you describe. I started feeling much better around the 4th day. After a week, I was mostly back to normal. Unfortunately, I wasn't ready to quit and got some more Vicodin after that.

If you can press through, you should be feeling better soon. 25mg Vicodin should be low enough that you can make it through without terrible withdrawal. I would be careful with Buspar or any anti-anxiety medicine. If you use it short-term when needed, it shouldn't be a problem. You just don't want to end up dependent on it unless you need it for chronic anxiety after the withdrawal is over.

This is just my opinion and experience. A good Dr should be able to help you through this if that is your plan. Good luck and stay positive.

Comment

Thank you for the kind words and encouragement. I am really hoping I start feeling better soon. My anxiety actually started before my quitting vicodin. I experienced a bad reaction to two medications cymbalta and lexapro. Ever since I’ve suffered anxiety. So I am hoping the Buspar works. My stomach is a mess and constant bathroom breaks. In bed for two days. I really hope tomorrow I am able to go to work.

Comment

Thanks for responding. I am quitting because I am addicted and know I need to stop. It’s gotten way out of control and was ruling my life. 2nd day today and feeling a little worse than yesterday for sure. I did a taper for two weeks then decided just to get this >>>> out of my system for good. I just wondering when this will end. My dr prescribed me Buspar for anxiety that I am starting today. I’m hoping that helps.
            thanks for listening.

You are definitely dependent but I wouldn't say addicted, there is a difference! Although you weren't taking high doses of vicodin you were taking it daily for four years and that alone will play a factor in your detox?

The Buspar may or may not help with the anxiety, unfortunately I've never had much luck with it. A typical cold turkey opiate detox lasts about a week, your withdrawal symptoms should peak around day three and by day 5 the worst of the. symptoms should have passed? After that you should expect some lingering issues like lack of energy and sleep, depression and/or anxiety?

Drink lots of water and Gatorade, stay well hydrated! Take liquid immodium as directed for the bathroom issues? Eat a clean and healthy diet and get some exercise in whenever possible? You can use the thomas recipe for opiate withdrawal to help ease some of your withdrawal symptoms, here's a link - https://www.drug-talk.com/forum/gene...atment?t=35169

Stay the course and soon this will all be a distant memory! Keep us updated? God bless us all!

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky71 View Post

You are definitely dependent but I wouldn't say addicted, there is a difference! Although you weren't taking high doses of vicodin you were taking it daily for four years and that alone will play a factor in your detox?

The Buspar may or may not help with the anxiety, unfortunately I've never had much luck with it. A typical cold turkey opiate detox lasts about a week, your withdrawal symptoms should peak around day three and by day 5 the worst of the. symptoms should have passed? After that you should expect some lingering issues like lack of energy and sleep, depression and/or anxiety?

Drink lots of water and Gatorade, stay well hydrated! Take liquid immodium as directed for the bathroom issues? Eat a clean and healthy diet and get some exercise in whenever possible? You can use the thomas recipe for opiate withdrawal to help ease some of your withdrawal symptoms, here's a link - https://www.drug-talk.com/forum/gene...atment?t=35169

Stay the course and soon this will all be a distant memory! Keep us updated? God bless us all!

How are you doing? If my math is correct, it's been 5 days since your last vicodin? If that's the case then you should be through the worst of the withdrawal symptoms? Update when you can? God bless us all!

Comment

Hello and thank you for checking in. On day 6 and physically I feel ok. However constant anxiety and racing thoughts are consuming me emotionally. Not taking the buspar anymore. It caused me more anxiety like all other medications. Still unable to sleep. Started therapy today and it helped. But just can’t calm my brain down.

Comment

Hello and thank you for checking in. On day 6 and physically I feel ok. However constant anxiety and racing thoughts are consuming me emotionally. Not taking the buspar anymore. It caused me more anxiety like all other medications. Still unable to sleep. Started therapy today and it helped. But just can’t calm my brain down.

Having anxiety is completely normal during and after opiate withdrawal, it will pass with time! There are vitamins and supplements that can help with the anxiety so Google search the subject? A nice strong cup of sleepy time tea can do wonders right before bed, give it a try? You'll want to avoid all caffeine and stimulants (coffee, sugar, energy drinks, etc...) for at least a month or two, you don't need anything adding to your anxiety! It can take a couple of months for your brain to repair/re-wire so hang in there because you will feel a whole lot better as more clean time passes, I promise! What are the details of the therapy that you mentioned? Update when you can? Take care... God bless us all!

Comment

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. I reached out through my church and am seeing a cognitive therapist. I had one session so far and it seemed to help. But don’t have another appointment for two weeks because he on vacation. I also have an appointment with a psychiatrist to see about the panic attacks and all day anxiety. I’m struggling really bad. I don’t miss the vicodin at all so I just don’t know if this withdrawal is the only issue. I feel scared and sad and depressed.

Comment

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. I reached out through my church and am seeing a cognitive therapist. I had one session so far and it seemed to help. But don’t have another appointment for two weeks because he on vacation. I also have an appointment with a psychiatrist to see about the panic attacks and all day anxiety. I’m struggling really bad. I don’t miss the vicodin at all so I just don’t know if this withdrawal is the only issue. I feel scared and sad and depressed.

I know it's scary but hang in there! Just give it a couple of months and then reevaluate how you are feeling? You don't want to see a psychiatrist and get put on antidepressants when you don't need them? I went through the same thing you did the 1st time I quit opiates! I had awful anxiety, panic attacks and depression but sure enough about 2 - 3 months of clean time the depression and anxiety went away! Give it a couple of months before even considering seeing the psych doctor! Best of luck to you. Keep us updated every few days or at least once a week? God bless us all!

Comment

So today is day 15. And my anxiety and now depression are getting worse instead of better. I honestly don’t know anymore if I can get through these horrific feelings. I have no desire at all to ever use vicodin ever again. But just don’t know what to do anymore. Finally took a klonopin today to help get through the day. I’m at my wits end and feel so down and out. I keep telling myself it will get better. I tell myself to just give it 30 more days. But just not having a very good day I guess

Comment

So today is day 15. And my anxiety and now depression are getting worse instead of better. I honestly don’t know anymore if I can get through these horrific feelings. I have no desire at all to ever use vicodin ever again. But just don’t know what to do anymore. Finally took a klonopin today to help get through the day. I’m at my wits end and feel so down and out. I keep telling myself it will get better. I tell myself to just give it 30 more days. But just not having a very good day I guess

It's completely normal to have depression and/or anxiety this early in recovery! The first time I got off opiates I had major depression and anxiety for a good couple of months! But it did pass and I felt normal again! I relapsed and experienced the same thing again so I know that opiates and depression/anxiety go hand in hand! Look into a supplement called DLPA? Hang in there, it will get better! Keep posting? Take care... God bless us all!

Comment

Working...
                          X