Suboxone side effects - HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suboxone side effects - HELP!

My husband is currently taking Suboxone after 20 years of >>>>>> and other drug dependence. He has been clean since before Thanksgiving because of it, and I think it is wonderful. Unfortunately, he is experiencing some sexual side effects - mostly being unable to climax fully, and some difficulty with arousal. He is now saying he wants to stop taking the medicine, and I am very worried about that! Has anyone else experienced these problems that can give me some advice, or let me know if these side effects will go away at some point? Thank you!

This is a common side effect of opiate use\abuse.He needs to go to his doctor and get his bio-available testosterone level checked.Nine times out of ten it's low testosterone levels that causes these problems.If he's low then he has a number of options.He can get a shot once or twice a month.There is also a gel which after your morning shower you rub on,there's a patch and finally the least used is the pills.It can take a couple weeks for the testosterone to start working so don't fret if it doesn't work right away.Good luck and don't let him stop his recovery program,it's vital that he stay's on the suboxone until told otherwise by his doctor.....Dave

Comment

Originally posted by mer View Post
      My husband is currently taking Suboxone after 20 years of >>>>>> and other drug dependence. He has been clean since before Thanksgiving because of it, and I think it is wonderful. Unfortunately, he is experiencing some sexual side effects - mostly being unable to climax fully, and some difficulty with arousal. He is now saying he wants to stop taking the medicine, and I am very worried about that! Has anyone else experienced these problems that can give me some advice, or let me know if these side effects will go away at some point? Thank you!
      My husband has been on this for about 5-6 months. I am beginning to hate this medication.He seems to think there are no side effects (he is in denial since I do think it helps him in some areas) But I think definite sexual side effects-NO libido, and he is very agitated and always edgy. How long has your husbands doc said he will be on this? And what is his dosage?

Comment

The side effects are real/My dealings with them

Originally posted by tiredone View Post
        My husband has been on this for about 5-6 months. I am beginning to hate this medication.He seems to think there are no side effects (he is in denial since I do think it helps him in some areas) But I think definite sexual side effects-NO libido, and he is very agitated and always edgy. How long has your husbands doc said he will be on this? And what is his dosage?
        I think what member MPVT may be the best solution. I never knew that before now and I am going to have the shots next visit.

I have been on it for three years. I am on 24mg of Suboxone a day. All the side affects both you and the message above you have happened to me. I have also been out of work for two-years because of another side effect(can't remember the name). It has made me lose muscular strength. I am so weak and tired all the time all I do is watch T.V. all day and night. I have no drive to do anything. I previously, was an avid hunter,fisherman, and rode mountain bikes. But, I am now down to 16mgs a day and am feeling better. I plan to be off Suboxone soon. I used Oxycontin intraveniously for seven years and I am confident I can remain drug-free now. The no libido can be helped by the right anti-depressant. I got on Zoloft and got mine back, the irritability and always being edgy are partly from the depression and the Suboxone. Show your husband my message,I've been on it three years the side effects are real, especially the depression because we are used to being Superman and the life of the party. It is a major life-style change, it makes you feel like a nobody. When you aren't. Scientific tests have proven opiate addicts are some of the most intelligent people on Earth. Not bragging but I still have an I.Q. of 149 after all those years of Oxy's,Meth,and alot of >>>>>>.
        Hope this helps.
        Last edited by Anonymous; 10-14-2007, 11:04 PM. Reason: To add possibly better advice

Comment

Originally posted by Needlefree4three View Post
          I think what member MPVT may be the best solution. I never knew that before now and I am going to have the shots next visit.

I have been on it for three years. I am on 24mg of Suboxone a day. All the side affects both you and the message above you have happened to me. I have also been out of work for two-years because of another side effect(can't remember the name). It has made me lose muscular strength. I am so weak and tired all the time all I do is watch T.V. all day and night. I have no drive to do anything. I previously, was an avid hunter,fisherman, and rode mountain bikes. But, I am now down to 16mgs a day and am feeling better. I plan to be off Suboxone soon. I used Oxycontin intraveniously for seven years and I am confident I can remain drug-free now. The no libido can be helped by the right anti-depressant. I got on Zoloft and got mine back, the irritability and always being edgy are partly from the depression and the Suboxone. Show your husband my message,I've been on it three years the side effects are real, especially the depression because we are used to being Superman and the life of the party. It is a major life-style change, it makes you feel like a nobody. When you aren't. Scientific tests have proven opiate addicts are some of the most intelligent people on Earth. Not bragging but I still have an I.Q. of 149 after all those years of Oxy's,Meth,and alot of >>>>>>.
          Hope this helps.

24mg is a whopper of a dose. Have you tried to taper down somewhat to see how much the side effects abate? It would certainly be worth your while to try!

Comment

Information on helping a vicodin addict

HELP!!! I'm at the end of my rope. My sister is an avid vicodin user. She's has been for 5 years now. Nothing is helping. She's been to clinics, therapy, and has also used methadone. It's no use! The methadone just made things worse. She became dependent on it. She now will take just about anything to reach her achieved high. She lies, falls asleep and any given moment, has behavioral issues, ect. My family and I don't know what to do. We can't force her to go to detox in IL. She has to sign herself in. If she signs herself in, she stays for a day and signs out. She's in her late 20's and is very bright. She also has a five year old that we as a family take care of. She doesn't live on her own. Is their any medication out there that doesn't have the same side effects as the actual opiate? Can we as a family do something? Any thoughts would be much appreciated

Comment

this is in response to the post about VICODEN !!!! i had the same problem i used vicoden for 4 years and i was taking up to 40 pills per day 750MG in one year i spent over 40 grand...BUT I AM CLEAN NOW... your sister is just going to get worse but i think i can help you..first dont use methadone it does not work for vicoden users it didnt work for me there is a medication called suboxone thats what helped me get clean.. just google it and there is a doctor locator that can help you find a doctor near you that will prescribe it...it is kinda expensive BUT CHEAPER THAN THE VICODEN... i was engaged and making 6 figures and my addiction destroyed everything so i know how you feel..but suboxone does work it will take away the withdrawl symptoms but your sister does have to want to be clean because suboxone does not get you high.. but listen nothing worked for me i always went back to the drugs..however the suboxone did work !!!.. addiction is a hard thing to deal with but please remember it is a desease..

Comment

Okay,

Being that I've done it all. Everything from >>>>>>, OC's, Perks, Vics, Ultrams, Codeine, everything.........It the drugs got me high I've taken them and allot of them... I was at 5 OC 80mg a day for 3 years, and then graduated to 3 or 5 bundles of >>>>>> a day.
                Anyways, Suboxone is a great medicine it works. It doesn't get you high, and there are no withdrawals. Also once you’re on suboxone it stays in your system for a day. During that time you can't get high from any opiates. The only thing with Suboxone is that in order for it to work an addict needs to have all opiates out of there system. Meaning that they will have at least 1 or 2 bad days of withdrawal.

Good Luck trust me I started on 32mg of Suboxone and I'm now down to under 8mg. I take about 3/4 of an 8mg pill a day.

P.S. as to what Needlefree4three said about Scientific tests have proven opiate addicts are some of the most intelligent people on Earth. I 100% agree..........:-) :-)

Comment

Needie, could you please refer us to the scientific tests you mention showing opiate addicts are among the most intelligent people on Earth. I am not disputing your claim, but it's kind of SOP to quote the source when you make a statement like that. My IQ was 156, 3 years ago they kicked my out of Mensa, last year I was down to 135, now I have such memory lapses I can't even remember my last score, but it was 3 digits, at least.

Comment

Dosing of Suboxone

Just started suboxone the other day. Got hooked on oxycontin after back surgery. tried to titre down and off the oxy as I am NOT an abuser of any drugs. Got down to 30/30 morning and nite and could not go down further without withdrawl. I started on 2 mg. twice a day. Yesterday was my first day and I was so high/stoned on one tablet I slept all day and could not function AT ALL! Could not even hold a conversation. NEVER got high on the oxy! So last nite I took only 1/2 a tablet (1 mg) and again this morning 1 mg and I seem fine with no withdrawl symtoms. does this seem right? Doctor won't return my call from over the weekend. I don't seem to be able to relate to most posts on the internet because I have never abused Rx drugs. I have only taken what was prescribed. Anybody have an answer. I would think that with the little amoutn I am taking I should be able to get off it quite quickly. My head aches all the time and throwing up has been an issue. Those are my only side effects. Will they go away?

Comment

Originally posted by walck View Post
                      Just started suboxone the other day. Got hooked on oxycontin after back surgery. tried to titre down and off the oxy as I am NOT an abuser of any drugs. Got down to 30/30 morning and nite and could not go down further without withdrawl. I started on 2 mg. twice a day. Yesterday was my first day and I was so high/stoned on one tablet I slept all day and could not function AT ALL! Could not even hold a conversation. NEVER got high on the oxy! So last nite I took only 1/2 a tablet (1 mg) and again this morning 1 mg and I seem fine with no withdrawl symtoms. does this seem right? Doctor won't return my call from over the weekend. I don't seem to be able to relate to most posts on the internet because I have never abused Rx drugs. I have only taken what was prescribed. Anybody have an answer. I would think that with the little amoutn I am taking I should be able to get off it quite quickly. My head aches all the time and throwing up has been an issue. Those are my only side effects. Will they go away?

Taking such a small amount of suboxone and using it for such a short time you will have no problems stopping the suboxone at all. Don't even worry about that. I am baffled by your symptoms however. There is no way you should be having symptoms as you describe from starting at 2-4mg of suboxone. It just doesn't do all the things you are describing especially at the low dose you are taking. Some of your symptoms like throwing up and headaches and just being kind of wiped out almost sound like w/d symptoms from the oxy, like possibly your suboxone dose is too low. Having just been off the oxy for a few days, if I understand you correctly, you are in the midst of an opiate detox right now. That is ok as that is what the suboxone is designed to help you with. But I don't believe that the very small dose of suboxone you are taking is likely to be enough to hide all of the w/d symptoms from an oxy detox. I could be wrong but this just doesn't sound right to me. Something is missing here. If I do have all the info correct about your time since last using oxy, and everyhing I have mentioned is right, then I would probably bet that you aren't taking enough suboxone. Sounds like you need more medication. That is about all I can come up with based on the little bit of information you have provided. I would contact the dr and see what he says. You should be feeling just fine on the suboxone, not at all like you describe. Let us know if we can help as you progress. Good luck.
                      Last edited by Anonymous; 08-25-2008, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Suboxone

I left the Dr. an e mail message this morning. Boy this stuff tastes like ********************! So I have been on this 1/2 pill regimen 2x a day since Saturday and feel good. still have a headache but it goes away after i take some Advil. The throwing up has stopped. On the first day after taking one whole one in the morning, I walked into a restaurant for dinner and not 10 feet into the door, puked all over myself and their floor. They of course asked us to leave. I felt fine after I threw up as I did the second time. No throwing up since and I feel normal again. Actually my pain level has gone down to -0- being off the oxy which I cannot understand. My first surgery was in march and my second surgery for a life threatening staff infection was in April in which they took half my back tissue out and I had a wound vac attached to my back and a PIC line in my arm for months. The hole in my back was 15" long, 5 inches deep and 5" wide. It is now closed and feeling great. Just want to get off all the drugs. I was in withdrawl symptoms for about 10 hours before Igave in and took the Suboxone. I foolishly thought I could do it on my own without the Suboxone. I had been doing so well coming down off the oxy but just could not get down past 30/30 which was very disappointing. we were doing it so slowly. All along the doctors were "don't worry, we will get you off the oxy no problem when you are ready!!!" NOT!!!! So I feel fine today and back to normal and see the dr. in 2 weeks. Can you give me a hint what's next? Can't seem to go any lower to get off........... This has been a freaking nightmare.

Comment

walck

Well I am glad that you are feeling better. I still don't understand why you would have problems like you did. I can't decide yet whether or not it was likely caused by the suboxone. It's such a small dose. Regardless of all that the main thing is that you're doing well now.

I am sorry about the huge wound and having to use a wound vac. I know from experience with personal friend following a cancer surgery how remarkable those things are though. They make such a huge difference in the healing process.

At this point and considering all that you have been through I would not do anything but focus on recovering. Don't worry about stopping the suboxone right now. Just concentrate on you. See how you feel as this progresses forward. I think you are very fortunate considering all that you have described to not be in pain or having a bad detox. You are on a really minimal dose of this medication. I suggest seeing how you progress and take care of yourself. We will be here if we can be of any help. God bless.

Comment

I am very suprized at you getting stoned. When I started subs my doc put me on 40 mg and I didnt get stoned.... I did start too soon and was throwned in wd and sick.... In fact I got manic and couldnt sleep after two or three days. I guess we are all different. It does sound like your not on quite enough to me. But if your not afraid of using I would just stop taking them.... should not be a problem if only a few days.

Comment

I left the Dr. an e mail message this morning. Boy this stuff tastes like ********************! So I have been on this 1/2 pill regimen 2x a day since Saturday and feel good. still have a headache but it goes away after i take some Advil. The throwing up has stopped. On the first day after taking one whole one in the morning, I walked into a restaurant for dinner and not 10 feet into the door, puked all over myself and their floor. They of course asked us to leave. I felt fine after I threw up as I did the second time. No throwing up since and I feel normal again. Actually my pain level has gone down to -0- being off the oxy which I cannot understand. My first surgery was in march and my second surgery for a life threatening staff infection was in April in which they took half my back tissue out and I had a wound vac attached to my back and a PIC line in my arm for months. The hole in my back was 15" long, 5 inches deep and 5" wide. It is now closed and feeling great. Just want to get off all the drugs. I was in withdrawl symptoms for about 10 hours before Igave in and took the Suboxone. I foolishly thought I could do it on my own without the Suboxone. I had been doing so well coming down off the oxy but just could not get down past 30/30 which was very disappointing. we were doing it so slowly. All along the doctors were "don't worry, we will get you off the oxy no problem when you are ready!!!" NOT!!!! So I feel fine today and back to normal and see the dr. in 2 weeks. Can you give me a hint what's next? Can't seem to go any lower to get off........... This has been a freaking nightmare.

I should of read further before jumping in. IT sounds like you started the sub too soon and thats is why you got so sick. Now your "normal" thats great. YOu will go back to your doc and he will see how your doing... maybe draw bld. Dont try and lower your dose yet... wait atleast two or three weeks for the wd to fade away. After that, then began a slow wean. Dont let your doc keep you on the sub for life unless you feel like your going to use again... when you get pass the next 2-3 weeks, then you can re-eval. I am sorry sush a rough start but the sub will work. Keep coming back here and you will have all the help avail.... this forum has be a blessing for me and many others.

Good luck
                              Sister

Comment

Working...
                              X