Suboxone Taper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suboxone Taper

Hi, yet another soul looking for support and advice on a Suboxone taper plan. I'm a long running Tramadol addict who converted over to Suboxone in Jan 2012 (taking a high amount 20-24mg a day) but over the past 6 months have lowered by dosage down to 6mg a day. At this point I'm thinking I need to seek wise counsel of those that have gone before me. I saw the Robert_325 plan and it seems to be a consensus for a good way to taper. I do have a question though. I take 3 doses a day (so right now I take 2mg in the AM, 2 after lunch, and 2mg in the evening). To do the Robert_325 plan properly, do I need to be on one dose a day, or am I OK keeping it split up like this.

Thanks in advance!
    -yes90125

Wow...bravo for working your way down from that crazy amount.

2x daily is good for now but around the 2MG mark you will want to start dosing just once daily. Just pick a time in between when you would normally be taking...

3x daily is too much for sub, it's not needed and just not a good practice.

There are lots of good people here to offer support and help point you in the right direction.
    ~ #one

Comment

Thanks numbOne, sounds like my first goal should be to eliminate that mid-day dose. I always felt a drop around mid-day so it's why my doctor allowed me to go that route. But if I'm going to get to 1x daily, I have to get to 2x daily first. I tried withholding today's mid-day dose but got very tired/headachy. Maybe I'll go 3mg in the morning and 3mg in the evening to see if that helps. Do you think moving to twice daily is more important at this point than continuing to lower my dose (FWIW, I went with 4.5 mg today).

Comment

get stable on your schedule and dose before you try to go lower. the plan everyone here seems to go by is allowing ~4 days to get stable on a dose before dropping it again. If you're like me and have been on subs for years and years, you may want to give it 5-7 days between dose decreases. I'm just starting on a taper plan at 10mg daily. I know you probably feel gung-ho to get this done, but take it slow. The people here who have been successful at getting off 'boxes seem to all have that in common. Hopefully by New Years I will be one of them.

=)

Comment

Originally posted by yes90125 View Post
          Thanks numbOne, sounds like my first goal should be to eliminate that mid-day dose. I always felt a drop around mid-day so it's why my doctor allowed me to go that route. But if I'm going to get to 1x daily, I have to get to 2x daily first. I tried withholding today's mid-day dose but got very tired/headachy. Maybe I'll go 3mg in the morning and 3mg in the evening to see if that helps. Do you think moving to twice daily is more important at this point than continuing to lower my dose (FWIW, I went with 4.5 mg today).
          Getting your dose situated at twice per day is much more important than dropping your dose. Try Keeping them 8-10 hours apart. You may even want to push the am and pm doses a bit closer together, but try to stay within the 8 hour limit. At the amount you are taking you shouldn't feel it that much. Subs have a long, long half life and you have plenty built up in your system. Get stable on times with the dose before you lower your dose. I know how people really want to GET OFF the SUBS. Taking your time and working slowly through this will be to your benefit in the end. You have been on subs for a long time, and you can't rush it now. You'll just get into trouble at the lower doses. Slow and stead, listening to your body is going to win the race for you.

Keep in mind that Robert's taper plan was written to be on and off subs in 6-8 weeks or so. Long term sub use is different. You are going to have to take a bit of a slower route here. Just don't get discouraged. You will get there.

Peace,

Iloerose
          Last edited by Anonymous; 09-23-2013, 09:16 PM.

Comment

I did my entire taper on one daily dose at 11 am a day. Since you now dosing 3 times a day I would sugesst going to 2 doses a day for now at about 8 to 10 hrs apart. Ros e gave you great advise so for now just get stable at the current dose for sure get to 2 doses a day then as we get further down on your taper worry about a single dose later on in your taper. Best wishes Alex

Comment

How did you get to 4.5 yesterday? Did you reduce all three doses or just one? How do you feel today?
              It has been noted that some people feel the drug leaving their system quicker than others due to different metabolisms etc. but it's also easy for our minds to fool us at this point into thinking we need more sooner...

Just going to echo the sentiments of others' and say get your body used to dosing twice daily for now.
              ~ #one

Comment

Yes how are you feeling now at 4.5 a day? The most imprtant thing right now is to get to 2 doses a day instead of worrying about dropping your dose. The least important thing for now is lowering your dose. as pointed out the taper plan calling for drops every 4 days is not written in stone especially for someone who has been on subs for close to 2 years and especially at the high dose amount you were using the first year. while you never want to get complacent at a dose the last thing you want to do is rush your taper and drop befor stable. You have gone from using close to 24 mg a day 6 months ago to 4.5 now so you are doing well. Just follow the taper plan now and make sure your stable befor any further drops. may take a bit longer then you wish but the end results are well worth it. talk with you later.

alex

Comment

Wow. This is great advice and I would not have thought about reducing my number of doses. So I'm going to switch gears, keep my dosage stable but try to wean myself off that mid-day dose. Also 4.5mg was too much too soon, so i'm going to a) try to stabilize at 6mg a day and b) take it 2x day.

My dosage times have been 8am, 1pm and 7pm approximately (just because that was convenient). Does it make sense to go to 3mg at 8am and 3mg at 6pm? or would you go 4mg @ 8am and 2mg @ 6pm? How quickly should I get there and in what increments? (e.g. 2-2-2; 2.5-1.5-2; 2.5-1-2.5; 3-.5-2.5; 3-0-3)?

God bless all of you who keep watch over this forum. I will think and pray blessings for you.

Comment

I still don't know how you split your daily intakes into 4.5 MG, but since we know you are not feeling well at that dose you can use it to your advantage that you get to increase 1.5, taking more at your final dose of the day so that your have more built up in your system hopefully making the transition easier the next day.

So 3MG at 8 and 3MG More at 6pm.

Otherwise, you mentioned feeling a lull mid day, so a 4MG piece at 8am may be what is needed for you. This is something you have to determine based on how you feel and what you have on your plate for the day. If you decide on the 4MG in the AM method, then adjust accordingly and do not take more the previous night!

You might want to try 3 and 3 for the first day or two then switch to the 4 and 2 depending on how its going.
                    ~ #one

Comment

Thank you guys. I was totally on board with removing my mid-day dosage, but I got scared and found myself justifying INCREASING my other doses. That means, I'm back up to 8mg a day. It was a weak excuse, but I thought I needed more in the morning to make up for what I'd be losing mid-day. Good decision or not, here has been my dosing pattern over the last four days:
                      4mg - 2mg - 2mg
                      4mg - 2mg - 2mg
                      4mg - 1mg - 3mg
                      4mg - 1mg - 3mg

I am hoping to move to 4mg - .5mg - 3.5 mg today and tomorrow and then finally 4mg - 0mg - 4mg. I am not as aggressive with this as I want to be, but I will take solace that I am learning to not lean on Subs 3 times a day. Once I get to 4mg-0mg-4mg, I'll check back in for some advice on what I should try to do next.. Thank you for supporting me. I say a prayer of gratitude for you folks that watch over this board. Bless you all!

Comment

Hi! Here is a soul that's been free of suboxone for 9 months. Wonderful advice already given but I will just reiterate that starting the twice daily dosing instead of 3 daily doses is what you need to focus on. I was on sub a long time. Started at 16mg. That third dose going away isn't going to cause much problem. It really is a lot of mental anxiety early on. Sub has such a long half life that really that third dose is just overkill. I tapered relatively painlessly down to 2mg. I had a few w/d symptoms here and there but nothing intolerable. Once you get down to the 2mg dose you'll be glad you're only taking it twice a day and eventually once a day is what I had to do. Otherwise I like so many of us, took it to wake up or help me sleep. I always had an excuse for why I needed 2 doses. You're in good hands here with lots of successful taper members. Hang in there! You can definitely do this.
                        My last dose of sub was 12noon on 12/26/12. I'm free!!!

Comment

Yes you are all over the place with your doses right now and you need to get to 2 doses a day and get stable at that dose. You were at 6 mg a day on the 23rd you stated then later that day said you used 4.5 and now yesterday you said the last 4 days you had used 8mg a day. It looks like your currently at 8 mg a day so for now get stable at 8 mg taking 4 mg am and 4 mg pm and once you feel completely stable there you can begin to taper off.

Alex

Comment

I'm new here. Been on 8 mg for 5 years and want off. I lost my insurance and don't wanna buy pills off the street. Can u help with a taper plan??? Thanks Mamashell

Comment

Hey can u help me. Been on 8 mg a day for the past 5 years. I need a taper plan that won't last forever. I know that sounds like a miracle but I'm just done. I wanna be free of this crutch. Please help with a taper plan for me. My e mail is [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X