Encouragement for those looking to get off Suboxone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Encouragement for those looking to get off Suboxone

I just wanted to post some encouraging words for those looking to stop Suboxone. I am on Day 7 of being Suboxone free and I read a lot of threads over the last month, many which were discouraging. I, like many others, was very anxious about facing the withdrawals from Suboxone. I have been on subs for three years and have come to terms with the fact that I never should have started. I had a pill addiction but very mild in my opinion compared to what I have read from other people. I had back surgery and was put on Percocet/ Norco's to deal with the sciatica and I had a very ignorant doctor who gave me 180 pills of each a month. It didn't take me long to become physically addicted to the meds, I never took the pills in any way other than swallowing them but never the less I became hooked- instead of needing one to four pills a day I eventually needed ten and when I tried to stop I couldn't. I was young and didn't do any research on withdrawals so I let a friend talk me into Suboxone. Of course it immediately stopped the withdrawal from opiates and I felt great not having to worry about running out of pills or looking for a new doctor to prescribe pills, so I was sold. Anyway to make a long story short I was on 8mg for a year before I started to get frustrated with my Suboxone doctor. When I asked to lower the dose he said I should consider just staying where I was because I didn't want to jump too quick and start using again. Of course I listened and there went another year of my life on Suboxone.

I eventually moved and found a new doctor who agreed that I should be weened off. Within a year I went down to 2 mg a day, then when I started on the 2 mg strips I went down to 1mg on my own but did not tell my doctor. He wrote me a script for 28 2 mg strips on Oct 17th of 2013 and I tapered myself down on that prescription to last WED when I finally jumped off. It sounds crazy but I wanted to get myself really low on the Suboxone before stopping all together because I was so freaked out about withdrawal after reading some of these posts! Well I'm happy to report that I came off the Suboxone with almost no withdrawal symptoms. I got a script for Clonidine from my doctor and some Immodium but that is all. I have been sluggish and cold but that is the worst of it- no insomnia, no anxiety, no diarrhea, no chills, no rls, etc. I took three days off work just in case but honestly I would have been fine. I just wanted to put this post out there for anyone else that may be in a similar position. It can be done! You just have to be patient with the taper and prepare yourself. Good luck to everyone.

Congrats on getting off subs!! It was nice to read your story. I'm currently tapering subs after being on them for over 7 years. Although, I didn't take sub every single day all those years. I was an idiot and still abused opiates, then would go back to the sub when the pills ran out.

I'm currently at 1.5 mg and I have to admit, I'm scared of the very end. But reading your story gives me hope.
    Take care,
    Kat

Comment

I am on day two off subs. I was pretty ok until about 6 hours ago. Rls really bad, thrashing like a maniac in my bed for hours until i finally got up.
      I stopped at 1mg as well.
      I do feel better after getting outta bed, but im really scared thst if i feel this bad now... Whats to cone in the next few days?
      I have klonapin, muscle relaxants, immodium, vitamin b, weed for nausea, a few lunesta, melatonin, potassium, gatorade and advil.
      So far the klonipin has been most helpful. Hot baths have also helped a great deal.
      I really hope i can get through this. The taper was fast.was on >>>>>> fir 2 years, methadone for 7 years then 2mg of sub for a year, then 20mg of methadone for a month after which i went back on subs for about 10 days. 3, 3, 1.5, 1.5, 1.5, 1, 1, 1.3, 1.3, 1, 0.5

I just didn't have enough time to taper longer

I am stuck 1000 miles from home so i don't have much choice either.

I am scared

Irene

Comment

Irene is it possible for you to get a prescription for Clonidine from your doctor? This definitely helped me the most as it controlled the rls, hot/cold flashes, and even helped me sleep. I just went in and saw my regular doctor, told her what I was doing and she suggested it. Hang in there, you are doing great. It's going to get easier, you need to tell yourself everyday-hour-minute, this is worth it, it's only going to suck for awhile, and then I will be free of these subs.

Comment

Hang in there, I am now at 3mg and starting to sweat. Thank god my wife to be is going on a business trip for 10 day, I am going to take a week off work and though it out. I hate myself for getting on the subs should have just dealt with the withdrawals 7 years ago and I would have been done by now. In life you either pay now or pay later, but you do have to pay. For me I am thinking of now even going Dow by. 125 every 4 days, I mean how bad can that be, sure it will take me 80 days or so but I think I can do it. I have to do it.

Comment

me too

I am starting taper now from 8mgs to 2mgs. I will ask for clonidine script. She mentioned naltrexone. I am afraid but I have to be off this. Its no bueno. Any other advice?

Comment

Last chance: you don't mean that you are going to drop from 8mg. to 2mg.? You should do the taper plan outlined by Robert_325. I am posting the taper for you.

https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...apy-50887.html

You may want to post your own thread here.

Peace,

Iloerose

Comment

Working...
              X