Down to 1mg, ready to be off looking for tips/support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Down to 1mg, ready to be off looking for tips/support

Well this is my first post. I came across this forum and have been reading all the incredible stories for about a week. You guys really are inspiring. Really brings tears to my eyes. I am hoping to have a success story, too.

About me.... I am a 33 year old mom of 2 great girls and have been an addict pretty much all my life. I've been on suboxone for about 5 years. And that's just a guess. It's been so long I lost count. I work part time, and no one knows my situation. My husband is an addict also and we are both trying to get off this >>>>. I have successfully gotten myself down to taking 1mg every other day. My plan is, next week to skip 2 days in between, get stable on that, and then skip 3 and so on. I am almost stable at skipping one day now, but did feel the effects at first. It sucked, but was bearable. Now, I think it's just all in my head. For example, today is a skip day and I swear I wake up real anxious. That's my mind playing tricks on me.

Anyway, I was just wondering if I am doing this the right way, or are there any other suggestions? Also... Has anyone jumped from 1mg? I noticed lots of ppl getting down to 0.5. I get the generic white chalky pills and it's hard enough cutting these things down to 1mg, and I have a pill cutter. If I try to cut down any more they kinda just crumble.

I have always been a baby and terrified of WD (been through it bad twice and dying would have been easier), but you guys make me think I can do this and it won't be to bad. Thanks if you've read this far!!

Most people taper down to .25 mg and then start skipping days or jump from there. 1mg is pretty high, you probably feel ok right now because of the long half life of subs. I wouldn't recommend skipping days until you dose down to at least .50 mg, but .25 is preferable. You CAN jump off 1mg, but I think you'll be much more comfortable if you go a little lower.

The taper plan that most of us have used calls for a 25% reduction every 4 days, once you get to .25 mg you can start skipping days. A few members have tapered down to .125mg before they jumped off. It's really a personal preference at that point because it's mostly mental at such a low dose.

If you're having trouble cutting them, crush them up. That makes it a little easier to get your dose right. I used Suboxone tablets for a good part of my taper and I had no problems.

Good luck and welcome here!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 03-29-2014, 10:53 AM.

Comment

This is the taper plan I mentioned, since you're already almost done you can skim over most of it.

https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...apy-50887.html

Comment

Originally posted by Sharks fan View Post
        This is the taper plan I mentioned, since you're already almost done you can skim over most of it.

https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...apy-50887.html
        Thanks for the reply. I did read that, but like I said it's just hard to get the pill any smaller than 1mg. When you say crush it, do you crush and just try to put under your tongue? I've never snorted these. Hope I don't sound dumb here.

My husband and I have 5 or so pills left to last us till the end. He refuses to go back to the dr to ask for 2mg pills. We just don't want to deal with it anymore OR have another bottle. If they aren't there, we won't take them, ya know?? Not to mention we are tired of spending $100s of dollars on this stuff.

I guess tomorrow I may try my best to cut it again and continue my skip days until ready for 2 skip days. Thanks for reading.

Comment

Cut them up into the smallest piece you can. If that's 1mg you would crush that up and divide that in half, now you have two .50mg doses. Save one of tin foil, put the other dose under your tongue. Don't snort them, just put the powder under your tongue.

You can jump off 1mg, but it will be uncomfortable. Subs have a long half life so the w/d's last longer. A few members have jumped off 1mg so it can be done. Just be prepared to feel crummy for awhile. I can't tell you how bad you will feel or how long you will feel bad.

Comment

Cut them up into the smallest piece you can. If that's 1mg you would crush that up and divide that in half, now you have two .50mg doses. Save one of tin foil, put the other dose under your tongue. Don't snort them, just put the powder under your tongue.

You can jump off 1mg, but it will be uncomfortable. Subs have a long half life so the w/d's last longer. A few members have jumped off 1mg so it can be done. Just be prepared to feel crummy for awhile. I can't tell you how bad you will feel or how long you will feel bad.
            Ok I will try that within the next few days. Thank you.
            Last edited by Anonymous; 03-29-2014, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the forums auburn and my best wishes to you on tapering down and getting off of subs. I have to agree with what Steph (Shark Fan} has already advised to you. I would wean down further before doing the skip days and jumping off. 1 mg is a pretty good amount to try and jump off at. Myself I weaned down to around .18 to .20 before I did the skip days and jumped. That does not mean I am trying to tell you that you have to go that low before jumping. I have followed a lot of threads over the last 18 months on here and a lot of times people will jump off a bit early and last about 4 or 5 days and feel so bad they end up having to start using subs again and taper lower before they jump and in some cases they feel bad and end up using pills again. The less discomfort one feels when jumping I believe the better the odds are in success. Everyone is different of course and its your decision to make on what dose you decide to jump at but I really think you might be better off in the long run to drop lower before jumping. Keep posting your journey here as it helpful. Once again my best wishes to you.

Alex

Comment

Thank you, Alex. Today I was going to try to cut the 1mg in half, but I didn't. I just kept thinking, "it's already so small", and psyched myself out. I did, however take the smallest 1mg piece I had. It's amazing how strong a tiny piece of a pill can still be. Tomorrow I will still skip, and try again on Tuesday to just take 0.5. Just wondering, has anyone felt the effects of going from 1 to 0.5?

I know you said I shouldn't do skip days, yet. But I'm doing good with it now. The first few days were hard but now its just a sleep issue. It's how my husband was told to do it, and he keeps the pills and despenses them out to me. So I really don't have a choice. : /

Wish me luck to get te guts to go down on Tuesday. And thank you for all the advice.

Comment

The drop from 1mg to .50 mg is pretty big, so you will probably feel the effects. A 25% drop would be .75 mg, the taper plan that most of us used minimizes any symptoms. If there is any way you can follow it I think you'd be able to finish this last part of your taper off with little to almost no symptoms.

It's going to be difficult for you to get stable if you're skipping days. I'm just guessing, but I think you'll probably feel poorly for the rest of your taper since you won't have a constant amount of subs in your system. I don't think you'll be in bed or anything, but I think you'll feel something. Again, I'm just guessing because I don't know anything about the method you are using, I hope that doesn't scare you.

Comment

The drop from 1mg to .50 mg is pretty big, so you will probably feel the effects. A 25% drop would be .75 mg, the taper plan that most of us used minimizes any symptoms. If there is any way you can follow it I think you'd be able to finish this last part of your taper off with little to almost no symptoms.

It's going to be difficult for you to get stable if you're skipping days. I'm just guessing, but I think you'll probably feel poorly for the rest of your taper since you won't have a constant amount of subs in your system. I don't think you'll be in bed or anything, but I think you'll feel something. Again, I'm just guessing because I don't know anything about the method you are using, I hope that doesn't scare you.
                    Thank you. No, it doesn't really scare me. I know I will and am prepared to feel something and just tough it out. Pretty sure this going down this low won't be as bad as it has been in the past.

I have been doing what my hubby's dr suggested. (Btw- most sub drs here are quacks and don't give a bleep about us. One reason hub doesn't want to go back is bc the dr always try's to give him Xanax. And Hub DOES NOT take that stuff well, makes him a different person). Anyway, he suggested to skip days. Get down to 1mg, start skipping days, then get to where you can skip 2 days, then 3 and so on and off of it. I have told my hub that I would like to do it this way (the way you guys have laid it out), so we will see. Today I haven't taken anything, and tomorrow I am going to cut my 1mg piece in half, or as close to .75 as I can. Man, trying to cut these 8mg pills really is a PITA. So do you suggest I do that and just take it every day for awhile, rather than continue my skips?

Thanks for your help. I truly appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by auburn girl View Post
                      Thank you. No, it doesn't really scare me. I know I will and am prepared to feel something and just tough it out. Pretty sure this going down this low won't be as bad as it has been in the past.

I have been doing what my hubby's dr suggested. (Btw- most sub drs here are quacks and don't give a bleep about us. One reason hub doesn't want to go back is bc the dr always try's to give him Xanax. And Hub DOES NOT take that stuff well, makes him a different person). Anyway, he suggested to skip days. Get down to 1mg, start skipping days, then get to where you can skip 2 days, then 3 and so on and off of it. I have told my hub that I would like to do it this way (the way you guys have laid it out), so we will see. Today I haven't taken anything, and tomorrow I am going to cut my 1mg piece in half, or as close to .75 as I can. Man, trying to cut these 8mg pills really is a PITA. So do you suggest I do that and just take it every day for awhile, rather than continue my skips?

Thanks for your help. I truly appreciate it.
                      As far as the taper plan is concerned, it would be best to go to .75 mg every day until stable. If you can manage 25% reductions at each drop, you'll have a smoother taper and jump. Like others already mentioned, it's best to skip days at the very end -- when you're down to .25 mg or less.

I'm tapering Subutex too. I crush 2 mg pieces into powder. Makes it easier. So to get to .75 mg, you can divide a 2 mg pile in half (to get 2 piles of 1 mg each). With a business card, take the 1 mg pile and split it into 4 even piles of .25 mg. Add 3 piles together to get to .75 mg. A total pain in the azz, I know. But it's necessary to try to be as accurate ad possible. Crease the card and pour the powder under your tongue.

You're so close now! I wish you all the best.
                      Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Iwantoff2013 View Post
                        As far as the taper plan is concerned, it would be best to go to .75 mg every day until stable. If you can manage 25% reductions at each drop, you'll have a smoother taper and jump. Like others already mentioned, it's best to skip days at the very end -- when you're down to .25 mg or less.

I'm tapering Subutex too. I crush 2 mg pieces into powder. Makes it easier. So to get to .75 mg, you can divide a 2 mg pile in half (to get 2 piles of 1 mg each). With a business card, take the 1 mg pile and split it into 4 even piles of .25 mg. Add 3 piles together to get to .75 mg. A total pain in the azz, I know. But it's necessary to try to be as accurate ad possible. Crease the card and pour the powder under your tongue.

You're so close now! I wish you all the best.
                        Kat
                        Oh, kinda like a Goody's powder? That make sense. Thanks. The main problem I've been worried about is crushing them and making sure all of it still absorbs under my tongue, and doing the right amount. Do you just save the rest in foil like someone else mentioned before?

I'm sorry for all the dumb questions.

Comment

I have great news. I talked to my husband about this and he agreed this way is better and it's how we will do it. I was scared to ask, I don't know why. But he actually listened to me. He will have to go back to the doc, and ask for the 2mg pills. He is going this week. So now I am no longer skipping days, and when he goes to the doc we will begin going down to .75 and so on to .25 and be done. I am so very excited to be doing this the right way. The way I figure it I will be off in a month to a month and a half hopefully. Thanks to all for your help.

He even said he has been struggling more than he has been letting on (on 1mg and skipping 2 days between) but didn't want to let me know as not to scare me. So he is happy as well.

Comment

That's great news. Yes, you can save the leftover powder for another dose. If you put the powder under your tongue you shouldn't have any problems absorbing it.

It is tough to cut the pills, I used a razor blade and while it made a mess I was able to get pretty close to the right the dose.

You will feel much better if you stick to the taper plan, don't start skipping days until you get down to .25mg

Comment

Update: I was finally able to get 2mg subutex. I can't decide if I will go to .75 or if I will do what my husband is doing. He is going to take his 1mg dose by taking .5 in the morning, and .5 in the afternoon. And after a week or 2, just drop the afternoon dose and only take the .5 in the morning. That is how I got myself all the way down to 1mg from 8-12mg. I'll probably do the .75 like you guys recommend.

Kind of a cool thing- when the hub went to the dr, he said 2 things first off. 1. "Please don't ask me if I need benzos, I don't want them and it's hard for me to say no sometimes", and 2. "I want the 2mg pills as I am getting off these". The dr. got up from behind his desk and started clapping, and then shook his hand. He said he has never seen that before, most his patients are always asking for more of this or that. He was happy/proud of him and I am happy for us. Ready to kick this plan into action.

Comment

Working...
                              X